A Caltech Library Service

Analysis of Circular and Non-Circular Rings with a Varying Distributed Load


Dunn, Louis Gerhardus (1936) Analysis of Circular and Non-Circular Rings with a Varying Distributed Load. Bachelor's thesis, California Institute of Technology. doi:10.7907/h20d-b494.


A rather extensive treatment of the stresses in fuselage main bulkheads is given in NACA Technical Report No. 509. The Least work equations developed in the report are for the most general case. The examples given are for concentrated loads, which are in balance, and applied. at various points on a circular bulkhead.

Now the shear loads which are transmitted by the skin and stiffeners to a main ring exist in the form of a distributed load which varies around the bulkhead.

The purpose of· this paper is to present an analysis pf a main bulkhead in which the wing reactions balanced by a varying distributed load around the bulkhead. The shear distribution although not exact because of the interaction of skin and stiffeners, seems however, closer to the actual existing conditions than would be a case in which the shear loads are treated as concentrated loads.

To somewhat simplify the energy equations the bending and torsional shears were treated separately, the work due to the shear and axial load deformations were also neglected. The error introduced is relatively small.

In the particular airplane to which this solution was applied 80% of the fuselage cross section area consisted of skin and the remaining 20% consisted of stiffeners. Hence the shear transferred by the skin is of major importance.

The case chosen as an illustrative example is an unsymmetrical condition since this is the most general case.

Item Type:Thesis (Bachelor's thesis)
Subject Keywords:(Aeronautics)
Degree Grantor:California Institute of Technology
Division:Engineering and Applied Science
Major Option:Aeronautics
Thesis Availability:Public (worldwide access)
Research Advisor(s):
  • Unknown, Unknown
Thesis Committee:
  • None, None
Defense Date:1936
Additional Information:Title page indicates thesis is for a Masters degree. However Caltech has it listed as a Bachelors degree thesis.
Record Number:CaltechTHESIS:10312023-170752804
Persistent URL:
Related URLs:
URLURL TypeDescription DocumentNACA Technical Report No. 509
Default Usage Policy:No commercial reproduction, distribution, display or performance rights in this work are provided.
ID Code:16219
Deposited By: Kathy Johnson
Deposited On:31 Oct 2023 17:35
Last Modified:31 Oct 2023 19:18

Thesis Files

[img] PDF - Final Version
See Usage Policy.


Repository Staff Only: item control page