Neher, Henry Victor (1931) Nuclear scattering of high velocity electrons. Dissertation (Ph.D.), California Institute of Technology. http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechETD:etd-05132003-124602
NOTE: Text or symbols not renderable in plain ASCII are indicated by [...]. Abstract is included in .pdf document.
The results reported in this thesis may be summarized as follows:
1. Nuclear scattering by thin foils has been extended from 80,000 to 145,000 volts.
2. A more critical criterion for single scattering by thin foils is obtained which depends on the shape of the curve connecting [...], the amount of scattering, with the angle.
3. Secondary electrons are eliminated by applying high equivalent stopping potentials. 4. Dependence of scattering on energy of primary beam is found to agree well with either Mott's equation or with the relation k/V[superscript 2], but is at variance with the classical relativistic theory.
5. Comparison of values of scattering for Al, Ag and Au shows that [...] increases faster than Z[superscript 2].
6. Scattering is obtained as a function of angle from 95? to 173?. For Al the dependence found experimentally agrees well with either Mott's or Rutherford's equation. The latter also gives the correct dependence on angle for Ag and Au. Mott's equation is not applicable for these heavy elements.
7. Experimental absolute values for scattering for Al compared with theory give [...]=1.32 of the value given by Mott's equation. This relation is valid within the ranges [Theta]= 95? -173?, V = 56-145 KV.
8. Secondary electrons coming from the foil are distributed according to the simple cosine law.
9. No evidence of loss of energy due to radiation is found.
|Item Type:||Thesis (Dissertation (Ph.D.))|
|Degree Grantor:||California Institute of Technology|
|Division:||Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy|
|Thesis Availability:||Public (worldwide access)|
|Defense Date:||1 January 1931|
|Default Usage Policy:||No commercial reproduction, distribution, display or performance rights in this work are provided.|
|Deposited By:||Imported from ETD-db|
|Deposited On:||13 May 2003|
|Last Modified:||26 Dec 2012 02:41|
- Final Version
See Usage Policy.
Repository Staff Only: item control page