Saint-Amand, Pierre (1953) A possible relation between the night airglow and the ionosphere. Dissertation (Ph.D.), California Institute of Technology. http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechETD:etd-05122003-113804
(1) It has been found that the diurnal variation of the 6300-6364 Angstrom OI radiation is similar to the diurnal variation of the electron density of the F Layer of the ionosphere. It has been suggested that this similarity is not incidental, and the two phenomena are closely related to each other. The factor of proportionality changes with the seasons.
(2) It has been found further that the diurnal variation of the intensity of the 5577 OI radiation is similar to the diurnal variation of the height of the F layer. It is postulated that the 5577 radiation takes place within a region which shares in the vertical movements of the F layer.
(3) It has been found also that the intensity of the 6300-6364 radiation changes when the height of the F region changes.
(4) Heights calculated by the method of Van Rhijn for the 6300-6364 radiation fall within the height range of the F layer. Those calculated by this method for the 5577 radiation fall at the base of the F region. The independent identification of the radiation with the F region lends confidence to height values of the emitting regions calculated by Roach, Barbier and others.
(5) The mechanisms of excitation producing the 5577 and 6300 radiations appear to be different. There is also little evidence for production of the redlines by cascading of electrons from the energy levels producing the green line.
(6) The instrumentation used in measuring the intensity of the nightglow is discussed in detail.
|Item Type:||Thesis (Dissertation (Ph.D.))|
|Degree Grantor:||California Institute of Technology|
|Division:||Geological and Planetary Sciences|
|Major Option:||Geological and Planetary Sciences|
|Thesis Availability:||Public (worldwide access)|
|Defense Date:||1 January 1953|
|Default Usage Policy:||No commercial reproduction, distribution, display or performance rights in this work are provided.|
|Deposited By:||Imported from ETD-db|
|Deposited On:||13 May 2003|
|Last Modified:||26 Dec 2012 02:41|
- Final Version
See Usage Policy.
Repository Staff Only: item control page